A delectable Blackberry Whiskey Smash made with fresh blackberries is what’s on the menu! This cocktail combines the flavors of your favorite whiskey, mint, fresh lime, and blackberry for a perfectly balanced adult beverage.
Do not threaten me with a good time when talking about great-tasting cocktails! And a whiskey smash is always a hit; perfect for enjoying a hot summer day or serving at your next gathering.
A traditional whiskey (bourbon) smash combines bourbon, simple syrup, mint, and lemon or limes. It’s citrusy, minty, and refreshing! When it comes to cocktail recipes, bourbon cocktails are at the top of my list, and this Blackberry Whiskey Smash doesn’t straddle too far behind my love for a Manhattan or Old Fashioned.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this cocktail:
While I stayed somewhat true to the traditional, for this Blackberry Whiskey Smash I’ve added fresh blackberries and club soda. Let’s jump into the details!
- Whiskey, and more specifically, bourbon, will be the base of this cocktail. See below for a few suggestions if you don’t have a favorite.
- Fresh lime will provide that slightly tangy flavor that makes this cocktail what it is, and you’ll need mint leaves for those herb notes. The lime wedges and fresh mint will be muddled together using a muddler to release their natural oils and fragrances.
- The simple syrup is made using a 1:1 ratio of sugar and water, and you’ll need club soda for the bubbles and “refreshing” factor.
- And last but not least, a few blackberries because it is the driving force in this drink. Of course, any other berry would do, like strawberries or raspberries. Get creative!
How to make your blackberry smash drink:
- Add the simple syrup, blackberries, mint leaves, and a slice of lime in a lowball glass and muddle (mash lightly) 3-4 times.
- Pour in the whiskey, then top with the club soda. Give it a few stirs with a cocktail spoon or stirrer. Add ice.
- Garnish with mint leaves, and a lime slice.
The traditional way to serve a Whiskey Smash is in a lowball glass. They are ideal for classic lowball cocktails, like Margaritas, Sazerac, Negroni, or White Russian or Black Russians.
Which whiskey bourbon should I use?
We all have a go-to brand, but I will share a few that I’ve used that work well with this cocktail. You can’t go wrong with Stranahan’s, Buffalo Trace, Michters, or anything close to those tasting notes. One thing to note: mid-range or young bourbon will do. I’m not against using high-quality bourbon in cocktails, but I would much rather savor and enjoy those “neat.”
This Blackberry Whiskey Smash recipe is a perfectly balanced drink everyone can enjoy. It is tough to beat the freshness of mint and blackberries, while the club soda, lime slice, and simple syrup help bring the gold medal home.
This Blackberry Whiskey Smash cocktail combines bourbon whiskey, mint, fresh lime, and blackberry for a perfectly balanced adult beverage.
- Muddle simple syrup, blackberries, mint leaves, and a slice of lime in a lowball glass.
- Pour in whiskey. Top with club soda, then add ice.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and a lime slice.
Simple syrup is made using a 1:1 ratio of sugar.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Cocktail
- Method: Pour
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 469
- Sugar: 11.1g
- Sodium: 51mg
- Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 62.5g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: whiskey cocktail, whiskey smash, blackberry cocktail, blackberry bourbon smash